In January 2019, three CPT codes were issued for setup, use and remote monitoring by a clinician of physiologic monitoring equipment, which may cover patient use of and clinician monitoring of data provided by the KinesiaU system. Specifically, these three codes.
CPT code 99453: Initial setup
Remote monitoring of physiologic parameter(s) (eg, weight, blood pressure, pulse oximetry, respiratory flow rate), initial; set-up and patient education on use of equipment.
CPT code 99454: Device/transmission fee
Remote monitoring of physiologic parameter(s) (eg, weight, blood pressure, pulse oximetry, respiratory flow rate), initial; device(s) supply with daily recording(s) or programmed alert(s) transmission, each 30 days.
CPT code 99457: Monitoring and treatment
20 minutes or more of clinical staff/physician/other qualified healthcare professional time in a calendar month requiring interactive communication with the patient/caregiver during the month.
- The patient must opt-in for the service
- Devices used must meet the definition of medical device, as defined by the FDA
- The service must be ordered by a physician or other qualified healthcare professional
- Monitoring must be greater than 16 days to be applied to a billing period
- Data must be wirelessly synced where it can be evaluated
- The data-monitoring services may be performed by the physician, by a qualified healthcare professional, or by clinical staff. Clinical staff may include, for example, RNs and medical assistants (subject to state law)